ATTENTION! The Biological Sciences Greenhouse will be closed until Autumn Semester 2018. The Insectary is open. Contact 614-292-9634 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a visit. No walk-in’s accepted.
Planning A Visit
We offer several opportunities for visiting the facility.
The Ohio State University courses and affiliated groups and events have scheduling priority. Instructors will want to check our Events Calendar prior to making a scheduling request. Instructors should make reservations during the first week of the term or earlier to ensure we are able to accomodate the group on the desired date(s). Instructors should review the Etiquette for Classes prior to their visit.
Tour Group Visits
Tour groups from outside the university will be accomodated based on staff availability. Please check our Events Calendar for potential dates. Groups of 10 or more require a guided tour. Groups may tour either the Conservatory or the Insectary or both areas. Groups should plan to spend one hour in each area however, we will work within shorter time constraints if necessary. We are unable to provide impromptu guided tours.
Our staff is happy to work with school and home-school groups to tailor tours to cover specific Ohio academic content standards. In general, many standards across a variety of grade levels are addressed by the typical tour. Depending upon time constraints, there may be a hands-on component to the tour offering students the opportunity to "get their hands dirty".
Individual or Small Group Visits
Individuals or small groups of less than 10 wishing to have a guided tour may be requested to join an already scheduled group visit or clustered with other small groups. We offer self-guided tours of the greenhouse on an "as-available" basis. Please check the Events Calendar just prior to visiting or call ahead to make sure the facility will be open for visitation. The facility is not open to self-guided tours during scheduled classes, guided tours, and events.
The Insectary does not permit self-guided visits. Please contact the Insectary Manager to arrange a small group or individual visit.
General Information for Visitors
About the Facility
Hours of Operation
With Ohio State’s commitment to the safety and well-being of all visitors on campus, the Biological Sciences Greenhouses and Insectary are implementing the following policy regarding tour attendees under the age of 18:
A minimum ratio of one (1) adult chaperone to six (6) children is required to attend tours of the facility.
Groups containing greater than twelve (12) children must have three (3) chaperones present at all times.
Chaperones cannot include students or staff members of the Biological Sciences Greenhouses or Insectary.
Due to space restrictions, many groups who attend our tours split into smaller groups while on campus, in order to have the best learning experience. Please keep this possibility in mind when recruiting chaperones for your visit. For example, a classroom of 30 children would be split in half, therefore requiring 6 total adult chaperones, per the guidelines stated above.
Etiquette for Tours
- Please remember that this is a teaching and research facility. There are classes in session and researchers working in their offices and laboratories. Visitors are asked to remain quiet in the hallways. Running and horseplay are not tolerated.
- Do not touch plants and arthropods unless instructed to do so by the tour guide. Certain plants and arthropods can cause irritations when handled. When instructed to handle organisms, rest assured that it is safe to do so, as we have your safety in mind. Please handle gently as these are living organisms.
- The Insectary does not allow strollers due to space limitations.
- Please show respect for the tour guide and fellow visitors by keeping quiet during presentations. Questions and comments are welcome during the presentation with a raised hand..
- This building has been designated as a smoke-free environment.
- Please be aware that there is no seating available in the Insectary and Conservatory. Tours involve walking and standing for the duration. Visitors needing special assistance can be accommodated with prior arrangement.
- Groups showing a lack of control and respect will be dismissed from the premises, and future tour arrangements for such groups will be made at the discretion of the facility management.
- Artists are welcome with water-soluble paints and chalks. No inks or permanent markers are allowed.
Etiquette for Classes
- Do not touch plants and arthropods unless directed to do so by the instructor. Certain plants and arthropods can cause irritations when handled. When instructed to handle organisms, rest assured that it is safe to do so, as we have your safety in mind. Please handle gently as these are living organisms.
- Please do not move plants or plant labels. If assistance is needed, please contact a staff member.
- No food or drink is permitted in the greenhouse as they attract pest insects.
- This building has been designated as a smoke-free environment,
- Please respect the plants in the Conservatory collection by not removing leaves or flowers, or by injuring plant specimens. Dead leaves and flowers on the floor may be collected if desired.
- Should a plant become damaged or accidentally knocked over, the instructor should contact a staff member immediately.
Special Note for Art Classes
- Art students may not use any permanent inks, paints, or markers in the Conservatory. Please have students use water-soluble paints or chalks.
- Students may move chairs into the greenhouse ONLY if they are returned to their original location.